Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Where do you start?

Just recently I attended a professional conference in Orlando, and I met a fellow social worker who shared with me about some of her friends who are just starting to gather information regarding adoption. Because she is a social worker, of course her friends went to her for information. They are already so overwhelmed at all of the information available regarding adoption....international vs domestic, private vs state, infants vs older children. My new social worker friend shared with me how frustrated (already) her friends are in the process. My heart goes out to this family, as I know that there are countless other families in the same situation! The information is very overwhelming, it is time consuming to wade through all of the legalities.

My suggestion is to start talking with everyone you know and reading all that you can and here's the important part--make notes as you go along. Meet with private agencies, adoption attorneys, consultants, and anyone else that can assist you with knowledge.

There are some great conferences held throughout the year in most states, attend some of those. Another great tip is to start early! Home studies take time and getting matched with a birth family takes time, and it can all add up to alot of time gone by!! It always takes longer than you expect it to.

I highly recommend getting started as soon as possible. The sooner you start, the sooner you will reach your ultimate goal of expanding your family through adoption.

No comments: